RICHMOND, Va. – VDOT is looking to make your Memorial Day weekend travel a little easier.
Ahead of the crazy times on the roads, VDOT will be suspending most highway work zones and lifting most lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia from noon Friday, May 24, until noon Tuesday, May 28.
VDOT says that while lane closures will be lifted in most areas, motorists may encounter semi-permanent work zones that remain in place during this time. A full list of those lane closures can be found on VDOT’s website.
- Between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. on both Friday and Monday
- Saturday and Sunday midday
- I-95 south and I-64 east from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon
- I-95 north and I-64 west on Monday from around noon to late in the evening
- On Monday, May 27, HOV restrictions on I-66 and I-395 and rush hour tolls on the 66 Express Lanes Inside the Beltway will be lifted.
- Go online to find directional schedules for the reversible 95 Express Lanes. The free 495 and 95 Express Lanes app lets drivers check real-time toll prices and live traffic updates. Once drivers are on the road, pricing and traffic updates will be available on overhead signs; updates will be available online via Twitter(@VAExpressLanes).
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV diamond lanes and 64 Express Lanes: HOV restrictions and express lanes tolls are lifted on Monday, May 27. The 64 Express Lanes in Norfolk are free and open to all motorists outside of normal operating hours, including weekends. To learn more about the 64 Express Lanes, click here.
- If you plan to drink, have a designated driver or use a ride service
- Buckle up
- Keep your eyes on the road
- Take a break if you are drowsy
- If you are a passenger, speak up if someone is driving distracted